Massage with medicated oil in a synchronized manner is called abhyanga. It is one of the pre operative procedures in many Panchakarma.
- Sarvanga Abhyangam- massage which is performed on full body
- Ekanga Abhyangam- massage of a specific part of body or a local massage
- Padabhyangam- A massage of foot, palms & sole
- Shiroabhyagam – Massage performed on head.
- Duration: It depends on which type of abhyanga
- 30 min to 90 min
- It is a fundamental part of Panchakarma and essential preliminary procedure, so it is done before all major panchakarma treatments. Improves blood circulation , increased cardiac return and facilitates removal of toxins from the tissues
- It is useful in all VATA disorders –particularly in Neurological & musculoskeletal disorders and also reduces pain.
- Lubricates the joints and surrounding muscles and ligaments consequently reduces pain and inflammation of joints
- Abhyangam also muscle reduces stiffness, spasm in the and nourishes by increasing the blood circulation to the muscle